Thursday, March 29, 2012

Swimming for all I'm worth

This is a post I wrote last year. I don't know why it didn't get published I am sure I had good reason then. I am sharing it now because the insights are still good advice-stay in the now and focus on God's love.

Moments like the one I am experiencing right now are the times that could drag me down into the depths. I am sitting here feeling sad, ready to cry for no reason. Also, a bit lonely. I miss the friends I made in Memphis and the life I had there. Things are different here and I have not been able to connect with a group of friends like I did in Memphis. So, the question is, how do I deal with my feelings in this moment so I don't drown in the swirling currents of depression?

I have things to do this weekend. On Saturday I am volunteering for the children's Easter party at my church. Then, Saturday night I am going to dinner with my cousins. So, although in this moment I am feeling lonely I know that I will be involved in activities this weekend. Grounding myself in reality helps keep me in the shallows rather than the deep, dark waters.

If I can keep changing my thoughts and focusing on the positives, I should be able to keep myself on an even emotional plane. That's what I can do on my own. Now, I also need to depend on God's strength to pull me out of the shallows. Focusing on God's eternal love changes my perspective.

I am a loved, forgiven, cherished child of God. And so, my dear reader, are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment