Saturday, March 3, 2012

Rising from the Depths

One of the most difficult parts of depression is describing your feelings to others who don't understand. Most are well-meaning and only want to help you, but they have never struggled with depression and have no clue how it feels. I have been trying to figure out how to describe the hopelessness that comes with depression, the feeling of being in the dark with no light to lead the way out. Then, God gave me inspiration-God knows what I am feeling and He has written it in His Word.

You may know Jonah as the guy who was inside a whale for three days (kind of like Geppeto in Pinocchio), but before Jonah was swallowed by the whale he was thrown into the ocean during a mighty storm. Jonah was tossed by the waves and pulled under by the forces of the current. Jonah sank beneath the waters and got twisted up in ocean flora. Jonah was drowning in the depths and had no way out but God sent a great fish to swallow Jonah. While Jonah was inside the fish he prayed to the Lord and described what depression feels like:

5 The waters engulfed me up to the neck;
the watery depths overcame me;
seaweed was wrapped around my head.
6 I sank to the foundations of the mountains;
the earth with its prison bars closed behind me forever!
(Jonah 2:5-6 Holmes Christian Standard Bible)

This imagery describes how I feel when I am lost in the claws of depression. The ocean demons are trying to drown me. But God raised Jonah from the pit and only God can raise me from the depths of depression.

God saved me from the deepest pit I could ever imagine, if it hadn't been for God's loving grace and intervention at the very moment I needed it I don't know what would have happened to me. But God, using my dad as His messenger, guided me to read Psalms. I remember screaming at my dad that I couldn't read the Psalms, I didn't understand them. My dad just said, well, try anyway. So, I did and this is the Psalm the Lord gave me that night, the Psalm that saved me. Especially verses 2 and 9. I cried to God because I was weak and weary, my bones were shaking. The gift is that God heard my prayer! That was the moment I knew I was not alone and that with God I could get through.

Psalm 6

1 Lord, do not rebuke me in Your anger;
do not discipline me in Your wrath.
2 Be gracious to me, Lord, for I am weak;
heal me, Lord, for my bones are shaking;

3 my whole being is shaken with terror.
And You, Lord—how long?
4 Turn, Lord! Rescue me;
save me because of Your faithful love.
5 For there is no remembrance of You in death;
who can thank You in Sheol?
6 I am weary from my groaning;
with my tears I dampen my pillow
and drench my bed every night.
7 My eyes are swollen from grief;
they grow old because of all my enemies.
8 Depart from me, all evildoers,
for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
9 The Lord has heard my plea for help;
the Lord accepts my prayer.

10 All my enemies will be ashamed and shake with terror;
they will turn back and suddenly be disgraced.
Psalms 6:1-10 (HCSB)

This Psalm was like God reaching His hands down and lifting me from the ocean depths. Thank you Lord for your mercy and grace. Thank you Lord for your everlasting love!

What verses speak to you in times of distress? Do you have a special scripture that you turn to when you are feeling down? Please share!


Image'>http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=149">Image: federico stevanin / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

6 comments:

  1. Isaiah has always been the driving inspiration for me in my spiritual walk. Ever since God met me in a very real way that I can never deny or forget! So here is a passage from Isaiah that speaks to me continually, not only when I am depressed, but every day whether I'm having a good day or a bad day. I hope this passage will bless you Heather and all those who read this post.
    ISAIAH 41:vss 10 and 13:
    vs 10: "fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My victorious right hand.
    vs 13: "For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, 'Fear not, I will help you' ".

    Revised Standard Version
    From the Bible I've had since 1970!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad! I would have known that was from you. I think you have to register if you want your name posted. That is a good verse, very uplifting.

      Delete
  2. I couldn,t figure out how to get my name on the above comment. The above comment was posted by Heather's dad, Richard Weston

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always go to the Psalms when I get in a funk - they say what I can't put words to. I even recently thought of a phrase: Sometimes when I'm upset - reading the Bible just Psalms (calms) me down! I am appreciating your posts, your honesty, your heart for the Lord. I have also struggled with depression. I would venture to say that most people have and if they haven't they are just not paying attention to what's going on around us! But the most depressing stuff is within me and my frustration with what I want to be and what I am and what I do. BUT I need to always circle back to this: keep my eyes on the Lord Who thinks I am valuable enough to DIE for and Who wants to share His home with me forever and walk with me each minute of each day. If I focus on this world only, I have lost hope and sanity!!! Thank you for sharing, Heather. love you, JG! - jj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my precious Jesus Girl JJ! Your words are inspiriring and encouraging to me. I used to think I was struggling through depression alone so I hope that by blogging it will help some who are struggling through these difficult times alone. The worst part was I never felt like anyone around me understood-and they didn't because they had never been depressed. But there is One who knows and understands everything I am, everything I have been through, and everything I will be and that is my precious Lord and Savior. Right now I still take medication to help me through this but my prayer is that with the Lord's help and the Lord's strength I will be able to be medication free. The Lord heals and I believe the Lord will heal my depression by changing me from the inside out! Love you! And thanks for commenting on my blog, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. whoops, published my comment twice in the course of figuring out how to "publish" - sorry! - jj

    ReplyDelete