Monday, March 5, 2012

Peace and Prosperity Upon this Place

Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.
Jer. 29:7

Not only is God telling me to plant gardens (I really hope He doesn't mean that literally because I have the biggest black thumb ever), He is telling me to pray for the city to which He has brought me. I have never thought about praying for a place before, but this verse has been nagging at me for days.

God brought me to this place through scripture (Mark 6:1 7/2/11).

God told me to settle down in this place (Jer. 29:5 2/28/12)

Now God says I need to pray for this place (Jer. 29:7 3/5/12)

Dear Lord,

I come before you tonight in obedience to Your word. I pray for your blessing over the Hudson Valley, that You bring prosperity and ecomomic recovery to this place. Lord, I pray that Your Spirit flows through Your people in this area to those in need of Your love, grace, and mercy. I pray for renewal and uplifting. Lord, I pray for Your peace over this place to which You have brought me.

In Your Son's Holy Name,
Amen

2 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I heard someone say that they were praying for a place - my pastor said that he was driving into the town where he was feeling led to preach and he said he got such a calling to come and preach and pray for the town. Very cool! I think wherever we are is where God has planted us (for however long the season may be) and we should pray for the place and people and that is part of the reason He puts us where we are. - Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that story Jeanne! I feel I am learning and growing in my faith and through obedience will come understanding. I don't have a particularly positive view of the area I am in right now, but God is working on me! He has brought me here and wants me to establish roots and has directed me to pray for the good of this place. In praying for the good of this area maybe I will come to appreciate the area more!

      Delete