Monday, March 5, 2012

Build houses and plant gardens.

I wrote this on February 29, 2012. I am sharing it here because the next post relates to this one!

I fought the Lord's Word to move back to NY. In general I have never had good experiences here (in NY) and opportunity is limited. I miss Memphis and I miss Denver but I know that this is where God wants me.

I am thankful that God brought me back to NY because I was able to see my grandfather before he passed away and was here to support my family through the difficult time.
I am thankful for my job that I love.

I have lived here now for almost eight months and I have just started attending a church regularly. Oh, I would visit a church but then I would find a reason not to go back. Then I wouldn't go to any church for a long time, making every excuse in the book. Through a wonderful friend, scripture, and prayer God convicted me and showed me that I was being selfish. I had expectations and walls that were standing in the way of my relationship with God. So I finally went to church with an open mind. I have been attending regularly ever since and am starting to meet people and find opportunities to get involved and serve.

In addition I sometimes attend another church service with ladies from my Bible study. Last week this gave me the opportunity to witness to a woman at the deli counter in the grocery store. I left the store with an incredible feeling of joy.

Even with all that said, I still struggle finding happiness or even contentment in this place. This morning God gave me this verse: "Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce." Jer 29:5 As I read that verse this morning I felt God's arms embrace me and God's voice whispering that I am where He wants me to be.

Now it is my responsibility to be content. I have a habit of always thinking about the future and what I can do to change, improve, get a better education, find a new job, move somewhere else. God is telling me to settle down, stay here, plant some roots. A few verses later, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer. 29:11

I pray the Lord gives me the strength and courage to find contentment in this place He has brought me.

No comments:

Post a Comment