Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Do Something You Enjoy!

Depression is a chronic disease and does not just go away. It lies in wait, looking for a way to sneak in and take over again. For someone that has suffered with depression for years it is fairly easy to slip into the shallows of depression, and once you are in the shallows it isn't long before you are drowning in the deep, dark waters.

One way I have found to keep depression at bay is to do things I enjoy. Of course, finding those things can be difficult, especially if you are like me and have spent most of your life avoiding fun things.

In Memphis I learned to relax and have fun. I started meeting some friends on Friday or Saturday nights to dance. It was a good group and everyone looked out for everyone else. Yes, we went to bars but most of us did not drink. We went to enjoy the music and dance.

Dance?!? Yes, dance. I actually got on a dance floor in a public place. More than once! I know some people will never believe this without prroof, so here is a picture.
Look-not only am I dancing but I am smiling! I think I smiled more in the six months I was in Memphis than I did my entire life before then.

Now, I have not gone out dancing since I have moved back to NY. In fact I have been in the shallows and flirting with the deep. But I am starting to find things I enjoy doing here. One of the things I find that I enjoy is writing this blog. I can't wait to come home and write. It gives me purpose, accountability, and best of all motivation!

This weekend I am going to a Women's breakfast. I went to one last month and enjoyed it so I am going again. I am signing up for volunteer opportunities. My sister planned a fun weekend for my birthday in May. So, you see, I am finding things to do that I enjoy.

What things do you enjoy that help keep depression away?

No comments:

Post a Comment